Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment
Health insurance options will be there for Tenth District residents in 2018, regardless of the confusion caused by the efforts of President Trump and Congressional Republicans to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Here's what you should know about the Open Enrollment period:
1. Sign up by December 15. Open Enrollment starts on November 1, and you must take action by December 15, no matter if this is your first time getting covered or if you're returning to enroll or make changes. Beat the rush and sign up early at https://getcovered.illinois.gov/en
2. Coverage could be more affordable than you think. In 2016, four out of every five people qualified for financial help to make their monthly costs more affordable.
3. Shop and save. If you had coverage through the exchange in 2017, you should still come back to update your information and compare your options for 2018. Every year, plans and prices change, and you may be able to save money by switching to a new plan that still meets your needs.
4. Those who choose to go without coverage may have to pay a penalty. There is a minimum penalty of $695 for not having health insurance.
5. Help is available. If you have questions about signing up or want to talk through your options with a trained professional, free help is just a quick call away.
Get Covered Illinois: 866-311-1119 (open every day during open enrollment, except for Thanksgiving Day)
Marketplace call-in assistance center: 1-800-318-2596 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
In-Person/Local Assistance Enrollment Resources
- Get Covered Illinois: https://getcovered.illinois.gov/how-to-get-covered/get-help
- Illinois Coalition for Health Access: http://www.ilcha.org/
- Protect Our Care Illinois: https://protectourcareil.org/
- Get America Covered: https://connector.getcoveredamerica.org/en-us/widget/?original=/
Useful Open Enrollment Links
- Illinois Consumer Resources: https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/Consumer-Assistance-Grants/il.html
- Open Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.healthcare.gov/get-answers/
- Tax Credit Estimator: http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/estimator/premiumtaxcreditchange/
- Cost Savings Estimator: https://www.healthcare.gov/lower-costs/
- 2018 Marketplace Application Checklist: https://marketplace.cms.gov/outreach-and-education/marketplace-application-checklist.pdf
- Affordable Care Act Glossary: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/index.html