Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Congressman Brad Schneider

Representing the 10th District of Illinois

Flooding Information & Resources

SBA Deadline to Apply for Working Capital Loans In Illinois is Aug. 13
Updated July 16, 2018

The U.S. Small Business Administration is reminding businesses in Illinois that working capital loans are still available to small businesses and private nonprofit organizations affected by severe storms and flooding on July 11-27, 2017.

Working capital disaster loans up to $2 million are available at 3.215 percent for small businesses, and 2.5 percent for private nonprofit organizations with terms up to 30 years. The loans are intended to pay fixed debts, payroll, accounts payable, and other expenses that could have been paid had the disaster not occurred.

The deadline to apply is August 13, 2018.

More information is available on the SBA website.


Grace Period Extends Deadline for Low-Interest Small Business Administration Loans
Updated October 17, 2017

Property owners affected by the July 2017 flooding in Lake County may still apply for low-interest loans from the Small Business Administration. The filing deadline for physical property damage loans has been extended to Nov. 1, 2017.

Loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate. Homeowners and renters are eligible for loans up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged or destroyed personal property.

The deadline to apply for Economic Injury loans, such as loans to assist small businesses and non-profits through the recovery period, is May 16, 2018. 

Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) on the SBA’s website at, or by calling SBA's Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955, or emailing

Disaster loan information and applications may also be obtained by calling the SBA’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 (1-800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing), or by emailing


Lake County is recovering from heavy rainfall and severe flooding.

If you or someone you know is affected by flooding, please contact either your local municipality or the Lake County Emergency Management Agency at (847) 377-7100. Leave a detailed message with the following information:

  • Full Name
  • Address
  • Description of your current issue.

Municipalities and the emergency management agency are also taking reports of property damage related to flooding.

Municipalities: Townships:
Beach Park: 847-246-6013 Antioch Township: 847-395-3378
Fox Lake: 847-587-2151  Avon Township: 847-546-1446
Grayslake: 847-223-8515 Benton Township: 847-746-2100
Gurnee Flood Hotline: 847-599-6640 Fremont Township: 847-223-2847
Hainesville: 847-223-2032 Grant Township:847-740-2233
Lake Bluff: 847-234-0774 Lake Villa Township: 847-356-2116
Lake Forest: (847) 234-2600 Libertyville Township:  847-816-6800
Lake Villa: 847-356-6100 Moraine Township: 847-432-3240
Libertyville: 847-362-2430 Newport Township: 847-395-3400
Lindenhurst: 847-356-2852 Shields Township: 847-234-0802
Mundelein: 847-949-3200 Vernon Township: 847-634-4600
North Chicago: 847-596-8600 Warren Township: 847-224-1101
Round Lake Beach: 847-546-2351 Waukegan Township: 847-244-4900
Round Lake Park: 847-546-2790 West Deerfield Township: 847-945-0614
Round Lake: 847-546-5400 Zion Township: 847-815-8620
Third Lake: 847-223-8422  
Vernon Hills: 847-367-3700  
Waukegan: 847-599-2500  



• Fill out this form to report your damage.

• If your home or personal property was damaged by the flooding, contact your insurance company to determine coverage and start the claim process.

• Clean-up: Complete emergency clean-up activities that may include removing water damaged property (carpeting, cabinets).

• Repairs: Consider waiting to conduct repair work, such as replacing dry wall or carpeting. This is important because officials may need to inspect impacted facilities as a part of the damage assessment process. While we don't know if federal assistance will become available, doing non-emergency repair work before the damage assessment process is complete may cause the repairs to be ineligible for future FEMA financial assistance

• Document your flood damage with pictures, and keep all receipts related to the clean-up and repair of your property.

• Contact your village/city or Lake County Planning Building and Development (for unincorporated residents) for assistance with the disaster assessment process.

Please review this resource from IEMA:



The Red Cross has opened reception centers to assist residents displaced by flooding at the following locations:

  • Magee Middle School, 500 N. Cedar Lake Road, Round Lake 

  • Jefferson Middle School, 600 South Lewis Avenue, Waukegan

More information is available by calling the Red Cross flooding hotline 847-220-7495 or on their website:



If you are experiencing power outages or see downed power lines, please call ComEd immediately: 1 (800) 334-7661. You can also text "OUT" to 2-6-6-3-3 or report at



If you need to travel, make sure to check Lake County Passage for traffic updates and road closures:



·         Be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice, have an emergency response kit

·         If a flood or flash flood warning is issued for someone’s area, they should head for higher ground and stay there.

·         People should stay away from floodwaters. If someone comes across an area where water is above their ankles, they should stop, turn around and go another way. If they encounter a flooded road while driving, they should also turn around and go another way. If the car is caught in rising water, they should get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground.

·         It is important to be especially cautious at night when it is harder to see flood dangers.

·         Children are curious and should be kept out of the water.

·         Continue listening to local radio or television stations or a NOAA Weather Radio for updated information and instructions. If you are away from home, return only when authorities say it is safe to do so.

·         Before entering your home, look outside for loose power lines, damaged gas lines, foundation cracks or other damages.

·         If you smell natural or propane gas or hear a hissing noise, leave immediately and call the fire department.

·         If power lines are down outside your home, do not step in puddles or standing water.

·         Make sure your food and water are safe. Discard items that have come in contact with floodwater. When in doubt, throw it out!

·         When it is safe to return home, wear long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and sturdy shoes when examining your walls, doors, staircases and windows for damage.

·         During cleanup, wear protective clothing, including rubber gloves and rubber boots.