***NOTE: Applications are now open for 2021-2022 program. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, September 8, 2021.***
COVID-19 Update: We are planning on holding the 2021-2022 STEAM Scholar programs in person, but we may adjust to a virtual format in case conditions change. Congressman Schneider and staff are fully vaccinated, and we encourage all eligible people to get vaccinated against Covid-19
WHAT IS THE STEAM SCHOLAR PROGRAM?
The Illinois Tenth Congressional District STEAM Scholar Program is an exciting new educational opportunity launched by Congressman Brad Schneider in 2018 for high school students in our community. The program aims to connect highly-motivated students interested in science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics with hands-on learning experiences throughout our district.
In the fall, students selected to participate in the STEAM Scholars program will have the opportunity to join Congressman Schneider on visits to four STEAM-related businesses and facilities during the 2020-2021 school year. On these visits, students will have the chance to participate in discussions with local employees, business owners, and educators, and learn more about the STEAM career opportunities in our backyard.
WHO CAN BE A STEAM SCHOLAR?
This program is open to all rising Sophomores and Juniors who live in or attend high schools located within Illinois’s Tenth Congressional District. Due to space constraints, we will only be selecting two applicants per high school for participation in this competitive program.
HOW DO I APPLY?
You will need the following items to apply for the STEAM Scholar Program. The application is below. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, September 8.
- Expression of Interest - Why are you interested in the STEM Scholar program and what do you hope to learn? (max. 250 words)
- Essay - What is a challenge facing youth that merits greater public attention? (max. 500 words)
- Resume - including a list of activities, accomplishments, and awards
- Letter of Recommendation - from a teacher or mentor
- Signed Parental Authorization Form - parental consent and photo authorization. Please print, have a parent or guardian complete this form, and create a digital copy by scanning a PDF or taking a picture
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE STEAM SCHOLAR PROGRAM?
Please contact Karyn Davidman at our Lincolnshire Office at (847) 383-4870.